1st Report 15-08-2020
During the weeks 13-31 July 2020, the zine Troubleshooting OpenVPN concluded in English, in screen version. During the week 3-8 August, the final text and image corrections were ready. During the week 10-14 August, the print version got finalised. PDF files available at:
During the weeks 27-31 July and 3-8 August 2020, the VPN introductive zine Tunnel Up/ Tunnel Down was translated in Chinese by Experimenting Publishing MA graduate Onebigear, PDF files available at:
Reaching out We contacted queer and feminist group "queer in beijing' (https://www.queerinbeijing.com/) and artivist Cheng Guo about their project "A Tour of Suspended Handshakes" in China (https://medium.com/digital-earth/a-tour-of-suspended-handshakes-2b1b699c9cf2).
Online and physical grassroots library in south China youmakeart will host the Chinese version of Tunnel Up/ Tunnel Down. Onebigear will also distribute the Tunnel UP Tunnel Down zine in print format during their visit to south China end of August 2020.
Next Forward the new zines (Troubleshooting openVPN and the Chinese version of Tunnel UP / Tunnel Down) via the mailing lists genderchangers, etc-int, anarchaserver. Post the zines in social media mastodon, twitter and on archive.org. During my online workshop Making a Tech Zine for Futures for All festival I will introduce these zines. Also I will print and distribute the zines during my participation at the Athens Art Book Fair end of September.
Final Report 10-12-2020
September 2020 Social media promotion, submissions to festivals
October to November 2020 Tunnels and smartphones and Tunnel and backups with a raspberry-pi concluded in English.
PDF files available at:
November to early December 2020
Troubleshooting openVPN and Tunnels and smartphones were translated in Chinese.
PDF files at:
- We contacted queer and feminist group "queer in Beijing' (https://www.queerinbeijing.com/) and artivist Cheng Guo about their project "A Tour of Suspended Handshakes" in China (https://medium.com/digital-earth/a-tour-of-suspended-handshakes-2b1b699c9cf2). Unfortunately we haven’t heard back.
- Online and physical grassroots library in south China "youmakeart" hosts the Chinese version of Tunnel Up / Tunnel Down.
- Onebigear is in contact with a Wuhan collective/social center to organize a workshop in March 2021 with the VPN zines material. They plan to apply for a training grant to DDP.
- the VPN-zine project is shared as an Open Call for future translation collaborations via the mailing lists:
anarchaserver (https://lists.systerserver.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/anarchaserver) and
- All zines were posted in my social media mastodon (systerserver.town/@mara) and pixelfed (https://pixelfed.social/mara).
- They are uploaded to the archive.org:
- and at the invite-only bootleg library organized by Piet Zwart Institute students in Rotterdam
- the zines were presented at Future for All festival as part of my workshop “Making a Tech Zine” https://pretalx.com/zukunftfueralle/talk/7MPQYX/
- the zines took part in the Small Press Fair (SPF) Fort Lauderdale in the USA. https://www.spf-ftl.com/the-market
Next The VPN zines are confirmed to be presented at:
- the next virtual Chaos Communication Congress end of December,
- the Glasgow Zine Fair Trade 2021 (GZF) where each participant will have its own dedicated page on their website, showing the zines and distro links. It’ll also include an interview between the authors and GZF.
- the Athens Book Fair which was moved to March 2021 due to the second wave of restrictions and following general lockdown imposed by the Greek government due to Covid19 https://www.facebook.com/athensartbookfair/photos/a.410034416463506/755335495266728/
- Coming February the project will be translated in Spanish by spideralex (anarchaserver.org) anamhoo (codeandomexico.org) and other feminists.